Chaplain - Spiritual Care Area
Company: Providence Health & Services
Location: Santa Rosa
Posted on: August 5, 2022
We are looking for a Chaplain for the Spiritual Care - Area
Department at Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital. Location: Santa Rosa,
CA Work Schedule: On Call / Per Diem Shift: 8-hour, Days (Variable
Shifts) Job Summary: The Chaplain is responsible for
offering/providing spiritual and emotional assessments and support
to patients, families, visitors, and health care staff (employees,
volunteers and physicians), as needed. Essential Functions:
- Recognizes and responds appropriately to spiritual/emotional
and ethical concerns, to difficulty in applying prior
beliefs/values to current situation, and to loss of hope and sense
- Demonstrates consistent attention and concern for all patients,
staff and visitors regardless of their religious beliefs.
- Provides spiritual/emotional support to a family and visitors
grieving a patient's illness, injury or death.
- Provides/arranges for the sacramental/ritual needs of patients,
their families, and hospital personnel as needed.
- Attends periodic rounds involving patients on assigned units to
give/receive spiritual and emotional input into patients' care
- Demonstrates effective listening and other
communication/dialogue skills, verbally and in writing.
- Works within the chaplain's scope of practice in a
collaborative, constructive manner with fellow staff and
clinicians, seeking and incorporating their input into daily
- Responds within 24 hours to requests from hospital personnel
for counsel or support as individuals or in groups. Effectively
facilitates supportive one-on-one and/or group interactions.
- Provides on-call coverage as assigned, according to
departmental procedures/rotations. Arrives at emergencies within 30
minutes when on call.
- Demonstrates computer literacy. Documents spiritual
assessments, interventions and plans of care using electronic
health records. Maintains confidentiality of patient information at
all times according to the procedures of the hospital and
- The ability to assess the spiritual concerns of patients,
families, significant others, and staff, and provide appropriate,
- Excellent listening skills, discernment of underlying issues
and feelings, and capacity to counsel patients on assigned units
according to departmental protocols.
- The ability to work with patients, families, and visitors
displaying denial or hostility by the consistent use of assertive
and supportive communication skills.
- The ability to support patients and families confronting
ethical issues related to medical treatment, including end-of-life
- Understanding of the Ethical and Religious Directives for
- Ongoing progress in pursuing/maintaining continuing education
requirements for certification.
- Awareness of own development needs by attention to feedback
received from others.
- Participation in an annual performance appraisal and
development of annual goals.
- Basic competency with frequently used software applications
(e.g., Outlook, Microsoft Word).
- Ordained or endorsed for health care chaplaincy by a recognized
body such as one's denomination or faith tradition.
- Competence in word processing, email and computer-based
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred. Minimum Position Requirements:
- Master's Degree in Theology, Divinity, Spirituality, Pastoral
Ministry from an accredited institution or equivalent
- Coursework/Training - Four units of Clinical Pastoral Education
(CPE). Licenses/Certifications: Within 18 months of hire into a
benefited position, certification is required by the National
Association of Catholic Chaplains, Association of Professional
Chaplains, or comparable association for professional ministry.
Preferred Position Qualifications: Experience: Pastoral care
experience with high-acuity hospital patient population (e.g. in a
trauma center). Providence St. Joseph Health (Providence) has
worked for decades to improve health and quality of life in
California's North Bay region, starting in Sonoma County, where the
Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange opened the doors of Santa Rosa
Memorial Hospital in 1950. Today, we continue the mission begun by
the Sisters to those we serve through an integrated spectrum of
primary, urgent, acute, outpatient, palliative care and regional
referral services. Sonoma County facilities aligned with Providence
include the 278-bed Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital, the region's only
Level II trauma center. In addition, the 80-bed Petaluma Valley
Hospital and 43-bed Healdsburg Hospital are secular (non-religious)
affiliates of Providence. Our services also encompass three Urgent
Care centers, Hospice of Petaluma, Memorial Hospice and North
County Hospice, the Annadel Medical Group doing business as St.
Joseph Health Medical Group, as well as the St. Joseph Home Care
Network (post-acute care services). We act as a regional referral
hub for outlying hospitals, while also providing outpatient
behavioral health care, education to promote health and prevent
chronic disease, rehabilitation, oral health care, community
benefit programs, and more, all fostering health and quality of
life throughout the area. Providence provides equal employment
opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age,
disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements,
Providence complies with applicable state and local laws governing
nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the
company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and
conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement,
promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of
absence, compensation and training. Positions specified as "on
call/per diem" refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled
on as "as needed basis" to fill in for staff vacancies. Company:
Sonoma County Entities Category: Spiritual/ Mission/ Pastoral Care
Req ID: R353493
Keywords: Providence Health & Services, Santa Rosa , Chaplain - Spiritual Care Area, Other , Santa Rosa, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!