Direct Support Professional III
Company: Becoming Independent
Location: Santa Rosa
Posted on: January 15, 2022
Becoming Independent Job Description
POSITION: Direct Support Professional III
PROGRAM: Employment Services
POSITION DESCRIPTION: This position assists individuals in
exploring, obtaining and retaining job, volunteer, and educational
opportunities and/or instruction and support with daily living
skills, with adults who live independently or in a family home. All
services are provided in-person and/or virtually.
Critical Job Functions
Possesses the professional skills and abilities specific to the
technical aspects of the position.
- Assist individuals in advocating for their needs while
providing assistance and support in various tasks vital to living
and working in the community.
- Identify barriers to employment; assist individuals in
resolving and mitigating barriers; offer potential solutions and
- Coordinate instruction and support to facilitate acquisition of
independent living skills.
- Research opportunities that support the person's interests in
work, recreation, post-secondary education and community and
facilitate participation in activities of their choosing.
- Provide services related to post-secondary education including
exploration, facilitating the enrollment and financial aid
processes, and other educational related supports.
DEVELOP AND IMPLEMENT SERVICE PLANS
- Conduct interviews and assessments in preparation for service
- Participate in developing and implementing instructional and
support plans based on the person's objectives.
- Maintain progress records, ensuring accuracy; write and submit
reports as per established procedures.
TRANSPORTATION OF PERSONS SERVED
- Transport individuals as needed which may include assistance
with public and/or para transportation services.
DEVELOP AND MAINTAIN RELATIONSHIPS
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with persons
served, peers, supervisors and other staff, affiliated agency staff
and members of the community.
- Assist in establishing and maintaining the individual's circle
of support, with a focus on reducing relationships with paid
supports, as requested by the individual.
- Schedule, coordinate and participate in team planning meetings,
trainings and staff meetings.
- Provide support as a Direct Support Professional working in any
BI program including but not limited to, providing in-home care,
transportation and in-community services for persons served.
- Executes position specific job duties and other duties as
assigned at the discretion of BI.
Candidate Should Possess The Following Skills
Organized: Able to perform job duties with efficiency and
Dependable: Can be relied upon; trustworthy, responsible,
Good Judgement: Chooses courses of action that result in beneficial
outcomes to the agency and the community
Positive Attitude: Has an overall positive, open and supportive
Interpersonal Relations: Is able to relate well to others
Communication: Is an effective listener, communicates well both
verbally and in writing
Initiative: Is a self-starter
Philosophical Commitment: Demonstrates commitment to BI's
established culture of dignity and respect
Qualifications & Requirements
High school diploma or equivalent is required; College coursework
in Special Education, Rehabilitation, Psychology or a closely
related field is preferred.
Experience working with individuals with intellectual/developmental
disabilities is desirable. Good customer service skills and an
interest in helping others pursue and achieve their best life is
Proof of COVID-19 vaccination or valid medical or religious
exemption is required as a condition for employment. Individuals
who are in the vaccination process ie; are only partially
vaccinated/have only received the first dose in a two-dose series
or are awaiting the 14-day post-vaccine waiting period for full
vaccination status, must undergo weekly COVID-19 testing until
considered fully vaccinated. Individuals with a valid medical or
religious exemption must also undergo a weekly COVID-19
The ability to provide job training, supervision, and interpersonal
skills to assist individuals to rely on natural support in the
workplaces. Ability to negotiate and coordinate work-related issues
- A physical condition that will permit frequent bending,
turning, and lifting without injury.
- Ability to walk and stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to assist individuals in wheelchairs.
- Lift at least 40 pounds.
- Clearance of pre-employment Functional Capacity Evaluation with
no restrictions that cannot be reasonably accommodated without
MAY REQUIRE ONE OR ALL:
- Valid California driver's license
- Insured, dependable vehicle
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination or valid medical or religious
- First Aid and CPR certification
- Criminal Record Clearance
- Flexible work schedule: occasional evenings, weekends and
holidays may be required
Powered by JazzHR
Keywords: Becoming Independent, Santa Rosa , Direct Support Professional III, Other , Santa Rosa, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!