Mental Health Professional for Jail Based Competency Trainer Program (JBCT)
Location: Santa Rosa
Posted on: May 16, 2022
Here at Wellpath, everything that we do is about taking care of
people - our patients, our staff and our partners. We are committed
to making a difference by providing hope and healing to vulnerable
patients in challenging clinical environments. Our talented,
compassionate team thrives in an autonomous environment, is
empowered and supported by education, training and the resources to
practice healthcare the way it is meant to be and strives to
"Always Do The Right Thing!"OverviewUnder the direction of the
Health Services Administrator (HSA), Program Manager (PM), or
higher licensed health professional, the Competency Trainer is an
education specialist or RN/LVN with teaching experience who is
primarily responsible for the educational and training component of
the competency program. The Competency Trainer will utilize several
cognitive remedial or restructuring techniques to teach basic legal
concepts, as well as help the inmate understand his/her own legal
situation in compliance with all applicable standards, state and
federal rules and regulations.Additional Details"The Jail Based
Competency Treatment (JBCT) programs are a special collaboration
between Sheriff's Offices, the CA Department of State Hospitals
(DSH), and Wellpath. The purpose of the program is to offer
competency restoration treatment to patients who are Incompetent to
Stand Trial (IST), so that they can proceed in their court case,
and move on with their lives. However, the DSH has historically
long wait times and bed shortages for this treatment, resulting in
longer than reasonable wait times for patients to begin treatment.
Therefore, the DSH, local Sheriff's Offices, and Wellpath have
partnered to deliver the program in the jails to reduce the wait
times for patients to begin treatment. The JBCT programs are a
"mini psychiatric state hospital" embedded within the jail, and
patients receive treatment in a more timely manner than if they had
to wait for a bed in the hospital. The JBCT Program treatment
includes all the same things as in the DSH facilities: daily
competency training groups, daily psychoeducational groups, weekly
individual meetings for clinical support and educational tutoring,
medication management, psychological assessment, social milieu
time, incentives, and much more! Wellpath is proud of its JBCT
programs, and believes that the JBCT programs embody Wellpath's
mission: To Hope and Healing."QualificationsEducation
- RN or LVN or teacher certification/licensure (preferred)
- Certification in Correctional Competency TrainingExperience:
- Previous correctional/detention facility experience
- Teaching and/or tutoring experienceLicenses/Certifications
- RN, LVN, or teacher certification preferred.
- Current (and must maintain) lifesaving BLS certification
- Must obtain and maintain security clearance throughout the
course of employment.
- Must pass background investigation conducted by the Company
and/or Facility as a requisite for initial and or continued
- May be required to undergo reasonable suspicion testing for
being under the influence of controlled substances, including
prescription, legal, and illegal substances, including
- Must undergo security training and orientation on Facility
Safety Policies and Procedures.
- Must follow county facility policies and
- Strict adherence to Department of State Hospital (DSH) and
company Policy & Procedure (P&P) Manual as it relates to the
duties of the Competency Trainer.
- Work cooperatively with the Sheriff's Office team and foster
supportive relationships between staff and Sheriff's
- Obtain medication history, verify current medication, consult
with medical provider/psychiatrist to continue psychotropic
medications, and discuss conditions falling outside protocol
- Facilitate individual (1:1) training/tutoring with patients to
review their specific case and how to assist their defense.
- Provide weekly/daily group training, learning and education in
a creative and multimodal format, utilizing discussions, reading,
video, and role-playing in a group treatment setting.
- Facilitate experiential methods such as "mock trial" exercises
for the patient with the involvement of the treatment team.
- Educational components for the program include but are not
limited to: Charges, severity of charges, sentencing, pleas,
plea-bargaining, roles of courtroom personnel, adversarial nature
of the trial process, evaluating evidence, etc.
- Document all findings in patient's record providing written
summaries of history and treatment course or other documentation
requirements as outlined by company and Facility.
- Participate in weekly Treatment Team meetings.
- If the Competency Trainer is also an RN/LVN, complete monthly
nursing assessments and health screenings of the Jail Based
Competency Treatment (JBCT) patients.
- Assist in IMO/ALJ processes, as needed.
- May assist in the job shadow portion of the interview process
of potential staff.
- May assist in orientation and training of new employees.
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent knowledge of emergency care methods and
- In-depth knowledge of health and safety guidelines and
procedures and willingness to follow them at all times
- Demonstrated ability to work on a computer including but not
limited to: using the Internet, Microsoft Office products and
Electronic Medical Record system
- Ability to touch type on a keyboard, operate basic office
equipment including but not limited to using mouse and/or stylus to
do electronic health documentation records
- Knowledge of 1370/IST patients and competency restoration
treatment, and patients with major mental illnesses
- Skillful in group facilitation.
- Demonstrates knowledge of universal precautions and the blood
borne pathogen rules
- Identifies problems in a timely manner and skillfully gathers
and analyzes information then practically and creatively resolves
- Maintains a professional attitude while communicating and
speaking with colleagues, patients and clients at all times,
maintains confidentiality, remains open to others' ideas, and
exhibits willingness to try new things.
- Speaks effectively and professionally, speaks clearly and
persuasively in positive or negative situations and demonstrates
group presentation skills.
- Develops professionally written communications, edits work for
spelling and grammar, presents numerical data effectively, and can
read and interpret written information. Prioritizes and plans work
activities, uses time efficiently, and develops realistic action
- Demonstrates accuracy thoroughness and monitors own work to
- Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing
demands, and can deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected
- Follows through with commitments, is consistently at work and
on time, can be counted on by others, is continuously productive,
follows instructions, responds to management direction, and
solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Promotes and personally observes safety and security
procedures, uses equipment and materials properly and takes
necessary action to report incidences.
- Compliant with job applicable license(s) and/or
certification(s), attends staff meetings and all required monthly,
quarterly and annual trainings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.Wellpath is a EOE
Keywords: Wellpath, Santa Rosa , Mental Health Professional for Jail Based Competency Trainer Program (JBCT), Human Resources , Santa Rosa, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!