Director Nursing - Surgical Department
Location: Santa Rosa
Posted on: November 26, 2022
Description THE ROLE Manages assigned department(s) and
functions across the area continuum of care to provide integrated
services in a fiscally responsible manner through direction,
support, and development of supervisors and staff, and through
collaboration with medical staff, other hospital directors, and
administrative staff, and community groups and agencies. Embraces
and articulates the mission, vision, values and goals of the St.
Joseph Health System-Sonoma County to create a culture of trust
excellence and shared purpose. Directors with responsibilities
across more than one entity, have a line authority to one CNO or
designee and on accountability to the other CNO or designee for
services within that entity. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS IMPROVING
- Strengthen focus on excellence in a culture that measures
quality and continuous improvement of performance to meet the needs
and expectations of patients and community.
- Assures that organizational and department policies and
procedures are current, appropriate, and followed
- Assures a safe and efficient work environment for
- Assures quality improvement processes are effectively
monitoring quality of services and lead to strategies for further
- Creates excellence in how customers are served, both internally
and externally with staff.
- Works proactively to resolve complex problems in a timely
- Assures the performance improvement process includes regular
dialogue and feedback with employees about goals, responsibilities,
expectations and performance.
- Models and encourages the spirit of service and excellence in
the organization (e.g., internal and external customers,
coordination and delivery of patient care that responds to patient
and family needs, physical, physiological, spiritual and social
needs (e.g., interdisciplinary QI activities, participation in
committees and PI teams).
- Understands and helps others see the integration of the
mission, vision and values to the strategic goals and operations.
- Demonstrates that communication is the primary key in
relationships. Creates a culture that fosters open, honest and
- Clearly communicates the strategic initiatives and direction of
the St. Joseph Health System-Greater Sonoma County.
- Acts as a liaison by effectively involving medical staff, other
departments or stakeholders.
- Assures availability of staff meetings to promote open, honest
and timely communication and provide information and a mechanism
for employee communication and input into decision making.
- Effectively communicates information to foster dialogue, shared
decision making, collaboration, responsibility and accountability
among all employees.
- Maintains accessibility for 1:1 communication with staff and
provides avenues for appropriate follow-up with employees.
- Utilizes team building strategies to promote positive
relationships and develop cohesive inter and intradepartment work
- Openly addresses difficult issues and supports difficult
- Integrates values into retreats, meetings, education forums,
celebrations and other activities as appropriate for employees,
volunteers and medical staff.
- Communicates issues facing the organization in the context of
our mission, vision and values to foster a shared sense of
- Expresses compassion at all times through the expression of
truth, feeling and listening to individuals or groups. STEWARDSHIP
- Assumes responsibility and accountability for fiscal management
of specific departments across all entities in collaboration with
staff and physicians.
- Communicates with staff and colleagues on a consistent basis
regarding key financial goals and performance.
- Formulates, presents, and defends annual budget (including
personnel, supplies, resources, and space) based on assessments of
departments-------- resources, programs, and projected needs.
- Monitors budget, analyzes variances using data and documents
justification and takes corrective action to adhere to budget.
- Analyzes trends, identifies opportunities and implements
changes in systems or technology to improve efficiency,
productivity, and decrease costs.
- Implements changes in systems, equipment or technology to
increase efficiency, safety, productivity, and promote cost
- Facilitates implementation of new technology, products, and
supplies to provide safe effective services and maximize
- Selects, manages and evaluates outcomes for contract
- Performs responsibilities to provide quality, cost-effective
services in the stewardship of area resources. COMPETENCY
- Develops a work environment that promotes mutual respect,
participation, growth and effective use of employee talents.
- Develops, with staff input, appropriate standards of
performance (required qualifications, job description, performance
standards, and annual competencies).
- Holds self and staff accountable for excellence in
- Complies with and assures compliance for all components of STAR
- Assures timely assessment of employee performance.
- Assesses staff development needs and assures employees have
needed skills by providing staff education programs for mandatory
compliance and ongoing staff education.
- Creates an atmosphere of trust and growth by providing for
reflection, dialogue and recognition of performance, both positive
and where improvement is needed.
- Identifies and assures resolution of discrepancies between
performance and standards through coaching, counseling, feedback,
and use of the progressive disciplinary process.
- Provides and supports opportunities and resource materials to
enhance professional and personal growth and development of
- Assures a communication system exists to listen and respond to
employees concerns, grievances and suggestions. PLANNING
- Initiates the strategic, operational, programmatic and other
plans/policies to achieve the mission and area vision by providing
efficient and effective services.
- Identifies changes in daily operations that promote mission,
vision and strategic goals achievement.
- Seeks opportunities to shape the environment in support of the
system--------s mission, vision, values and goals.
- Helps others anticipate and understand change by providing
relevant information and solicits input in an effective manner with
people whom the change affects.
- Encourages ideas, suggestions and participation of others and
involves others in planning, decision making and assessment
- Seeks support, implements and evaluates with others changes in
- Establishes and meets timelines established by project
- Performs periodic follow-up to assure actual implementation of
change and its effect on the organization.
- Markets services to internal and external customers.
- Creates opportunities for partnership and integration with
other departments and entities and community.
- Markets programs in service to mission and vision to the
- Understands healthcare issues relevant to the area and the
- Identifies and fulfills own educational and developmental needs
and keeps updated on advances related to responsibilities.
- Promotes professional image within the organization and in the
community. AGE-RELATED COMPETENCIES
- Ensures that staff possesses the appropriate knowledge and
skills necessary to provide care to the age of the patients served,
including knowledge of the principles of growth and development and
psychosocial characteristics and interventions for the population
served on the unit.
- Ensures that staff is competent in assessing and interpreting
age appropriate data about the patients-------- in order to provide
the care needed.
- Ensures that staff possesses the appropriate communication
skills for the patient population served. Ensures that staff
demonstrates knowledge of age-specific community resources and
continually updates staff appropriately. IDEAL QUALIFICATIONS
Required experience/education for this position include:
- Coursework/Training in Graduate of school of nursing
- Active participation in a healthcare related Master--------s
program until completion
- Upon hire: California Registered Nurse License (Vendor
- Upon hire: National Provider BLS - American Heart Association
- 5 years of recent experience in acute hospital setting
- 2 years of management experience
- Leadership skills consistent with the mission, vision and
values of the St. Joseph Health System and the Sisters of St.
Joseph of Orange as demonstrated in the Values Standards and Key
- Excellent communication skills, advanced knowledge of job
specific skills and computer proficiency
- Flexibility and the ability to prioritize multiple projects and
- Proven ability to work well with individuals and groups
- Ability to work with diverse populations of all ages. Preferred
experience/education for this position include:
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing
- Upon hire: Specialty certificate based on unit. About
Providence At Providence, our strength lies in Our Promise of
-------Know me, care for me, ease my way.----- Working at our
family of organizations means that regardless of your role,
we--------ll walk alongside you in your career, supporting you so
you can support others. We provide best-in-class benefits and we
foster an inclusive workplace where diversity is valued, and
everyone is essential, heard and respected. Together, our 120,000
caregivers (all employees) serve in over 50 hospitals, over 1,000
clinics and a full range of health and social services across
Alaska, California, Montana, New Mexico, Oregon, Texas and
Washington. As a comprehensive health care organization, we are
serving more people, advancing best practices and continuing our
more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable.
Requsition ID: 111603 Company: Providence Jobs Job Category:
Nursing-Patient Facing Job Function: Nursing Job Schedule: Full
time Job Shift: Day Career Track: Leadership Department: 7820
NURSING ADMIN Address: CA Santa Rosa 1165 Montgomery DrProvidence
is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability,
veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin,
sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status,
genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state,
or federal law.PandoLogic. Keywords: Nursing Director, Location:
Santa Rosa, CA - 95406
Keywords: Providence, Santa Rosa , Director Nursing - Surgical Department, Healthcare , Santa Rosa, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!