Director, Media Relations
Company: Public Affairs Council
Posted on: February 22, 2021
Job Description About AbbVie
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines
that solve serious health issues today and address the medical
challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on
people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology,
oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and
gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its
Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie,
please visit us at--www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on--Twitter
,--Facebook ,--Instagram ,--YouTube --and--LinkedIn .
The Director, Media Relations develops and executes communication
strategies to promote and protect AbbVie's reputation focusing on
media and other external stakeholders. This leader and their team
provide strategic media relations leadership, planning, and
tactical implementation for both day-to-day and high-risk
situations.Job Responsibilities:AbbVie's corporate media
- Leads the company's media enterprise storytelling program to
generate media coverage and, in partnership with the executive
communications team, support the elevation of executive voices and
SMEs across earned media.
- Demonstrates a deep knowledge of AbbVie, the business, global
issues and ability to clearly articulate AbbVie's mission,
strategy, and goals to the media.Corporate media relations
- Leads the team that fields majority of incoming media inquiries
for the company and advises other colleagues on media engagement in
- Builds and maintain a wide network of reporter relationships
that will benefit the company's reputation. Tracks the discussion
externally to better advise and inform company positions and
- Leads team responsible for uploading of all press releases for
AbbVie and enterprise account management with Cision/PR Newswire on
behalf of broader Corporate Responsibility Brand and
Communications--organization.Proactive public affairs
- Provide media and social media intelligence to government
affairs (GA), enabling GA to measure, and if needed, target their
response to key policy issues and public discussions.
- Liaise on media inquiries on government-related topics, working
closely with Government Affairs, Legal, Regulatory and U.S. Public
Affairs colleagues to align on AbbVie's position.
- Provide counsel to federal & state government affairs teams on
media implications of legislation at the state and federal
- Engage with key trade associations to ensure that the company
has insight into and shares its perspective on a wide variety of
issues impacting the industry. Work with trade association
colleagues to help shape communication strategies on key issues of
importance to AbbVie and the broader pharmaceutical industry.
- Advise on a host of internal and external communications
generated by government affairs, including those shared with
policymakers and regulators. Secure necessary approvals and ensure
alignment with the broader organization.
- Work closely with the AbbVie PAC to create materials to engage
PAC members and the broader U.S. employee population on topics
impacting the biopharmaceutical industry and AbbVie in
- Work with Government Affairs on high-profile initiatives, such
as congressional briefings and hearings with policymakers and
legislators, partnering to proactively share AbbVie's perspective
and actively work to mitigate any damage to the company's
- Leads strategy and execution of corporate crisis
communications, including helping inform and advice senior leaders,
managing media relations approach and working collaboratively with
- Helps the company stay ahead of crises by thinking proactively
about issues and driving conversation with internal stakeholders
about potential responses.
- Serve as key spokesperson and media communications expert
- Responsible for planning and executing a crisis drill 1-2 times
per year with the broader CRBC organization.
- Responsible for maintaining the Crisis Plan and relevant Crisis
Action Teams (CAT) made up by members of the broader CRBC
organizationMedia monitoring and executive awareness efforts
- Develops strategic approach to media monitoring and executive
- Ensures that executive leadership is aware of key media
coverage, through routine daily and real-time updates.
- Manages the vendor partnership with the company's media
monitoring service.Litigation Support
- Work with the legal team to anticipate and respond to, as
necessary, media inquires on litigation issues.
- Educate reporters, as necessary, on significant litigation
matters to ensure that the company's perspective is included in any
media coverage.Investor relations
- Earnings: Works closely with Investor Relations on all internal
and external communications aspects of quarterly earnings.
- Provides appropriate and relevant updates to affiliates and
- Responds to media inquiries working closely with Investor
Relations to ensure accuracy of information.Deals and partnership
- Works with Business Development and Alliance Management on all
deal and partnership press releases and announcements.
- Works closely with the Communications teams of external
partners to execute on content, timing and appropriate media
outreach surrounding announcement.QualificationsKey Skills:
- Ability to create and execute a successful media relations
program tied to the company's mission and strategy.
- Experience providing counsel to senior executives on external
messaging and strategy.
- Exceptional writing and research skills.
- Crisis communications experience with a track record of
successfully planning for and publicly addressing high profile
business topics with press, employees and key stakeholders.
- A creative thinker who strives to think outside the box but
always to the benefit of the business.
- Highly organized, with attention to detail, adherence to
deadlines, and ability to work under pressure with multiple,
- An experienced leader with a demonstrated ability and interest
in developing team members and fostering and a high-performance,
supportive and inclusive environment.
- Embrace and model AbbVie's--principles --and the Ways We Work
(All For One, AbbVie, Decide Smart and Sure, Agile and Accountable,
Clear and Courageous and Make Possibilities Real).
- Comfortable operating in an agile environment, but also possess
solid experience successfully navigating the complexities of a
- Experience managing external partnerships to maximize the
company's investment in those resources.
- Demonstrated ability to stay calm in high pressure
- Possess a thorough understanding/awareness of leading/emerging
PR tactics and techniques to maximize impact.Required
- Bachelor's Degree (emphasis in communications, marketing,
business, public relations or journalism preferred)
- 15+ experience in a high-level media-focused and/or
- Have proven results in proactive media engagement
- Strong business acumen, including strong corporate finance
communication experiencePreferred Qualifications:
- Experience working in a healthcareSignificant Work
Yes, 20 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse
backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients.
As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the
basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex
(including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical
condition, genetic information gender identity or expression,
sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or
any other legally protected characteristic.
Keywords: Public Affairs Council, Santa Rosa , Director, Media Relations, Executive , Clearlake, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!