Deputy Chief Executive Officer
Company: County Of Mendocino
Posted on: February 20, 2021
Job Requirements and Minimum Qualifications
All responsibilities may not be performed by all incumbents
- Directs staff in various aspects of budget development for the
organization including; establishing policies, recommending
budgets, establishing control systems relative to budget management
within each department; and keeping management staff and elected
officials informed of financial status on a regular basis.
- Plans, coordinates, assigns, and monitors performance and
coaches, counsels, mentors, trains, and advises department
directors and other employees with respect to policy matters and
for the dual goals of meeting department goals and employee career
- Manages annual and individual projects and policy issues by
conducting complex research and works with department directors for
the purpose of assigning and/or coordinating projects and programs
and resolving issues.
- Advises the chief executive officer and Board of Supervisors on
matters pertaining to department functions.
- Assists departments with matters involving interdepartmental
functions, central services and/or public relations.
- Assists in the development and enforcement of ordinances,
policies, procedures, and standards for the department and County;
recommends improvement when necessary and writes/revises
- Reviews, prepares and presents program reports, resolutions,
- Organizes, directs and coordinates the collection of
information pertinent to County programs and/or
- Serves as a member of various committees/teams and
collaborates, persuades, and negotiates with others outside own
work area to coordinate efforts and maintain cooperative and
- Follows up on various inquiries at the request of officials and
- Negotiates or supervises contract negotiations and leases,
assures that contracts and leases are properly executed in
accordance with laws, limitations, etc. and approves same up to
- Attends and/or conducts various project meetings and
- Assesses capital improvement needs of facilities.
- Monitors legislative issues and court decisions affecting
- Pursues funding sources and assists in the preparation of
- Prepares and present items to the Board and makes
recommendations on items submitted by departments.
- Carries out supervisory/managerial responsibility of Executive
Office staff in accordance with policies, procedures and applicable
laws including: interviewing, hiring and training, planning,
assigning and directing work; establishing deadlines; appraising
performance; counseling with employees; and addressing complaints
and resolving problems.
- Represents the Board and interacts with a variety of high level
individuals, both internally and within the community to provide
information, disseminate departmental information and assist in
resolving administrative issues.
- Assists in directing the establishment of long-range goals,
objectives, organizational structure, and overall direction for all
- Works with Executive Office staff to assure the clients are
- Ensures quality standards and compliance with regulations are
- Maintains and upgrades professional knowledge, skills, and
development by attending seminars and training programs and reading
trade and professional journals and publications.
- Prepares complex, routine and non-routine reports as requested
utilizing a variety of software; receives, sorts, and summarizes
material for the preparation of reports; prepares work reports;
relays and interprets administrative decisions, policies and
- Acts as the CEO in his/her absence, or as assigned.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
Education and Experience:Bachelors degree from an accredited
four-year college or university in business administration, public
administration or related field; and, three to four years of
progressively responsible related experience; or, a combination of
education, training and experience which provides the required
knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions
of the job.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Management practices.
- Public administration.
- Fund and budgetary accounting.
- Fiscal administration and the principles of capital
- Negotiation strategies and practices.
- Legislative process.
- Budgetary structure of the organization.
- Administrative principles and practices, including goal setting
- Administration of staff and activities, either directly or
through subordinate supervision.
- Applicable state, federal and local ordinances, codes, laws,
rules and regulations and legislative issues.
- Methods and techniques of research, statistical analysis and
- All computer applications and hardware related to performance
of the essential functions of the job.
- Correct English usage, including spelling, grammar,
punctuation, and vocabulary.
- External governmental bodies and agencies related to area of
- Standard business arithmetic, including percentages and
- Human resources policies and practices.
- Using tact, discretion, initiative and independent judgment
within established guidelines.
- Analyzing and resolving situations and problems.
- Researching, compiling, and summarizing a variety of
informational and statistical data and materials.
- Organizing work, setting priorities, meeting critical
deadlines, and following up on assignments with a minimum of
- Applying logical thinking to solve problems or accomplish
tasks; to understand, interpret and communicate complicated
policies, procedures and protocols.
- Communicating orally with internal staff, citizens, and other
departmental staff in order to give and receive information in a
- Operating and routine maintenance of general office machines
such as copiers, facsimile machines, telephone systems, and paging
Mental and Physical Abilities:
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as operation and
maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, and so forth.
- Ability to understand and carry out written and oral
instructions, giving close attention to detail and
- Ability to delegate authority to staff.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
relationships with others.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers,
common fractions and decimals.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete
variables in standardized situations.
- While performing the essential functions of this job, the
incumbent is regularly required to sit, use hands to finger,
handle, or feel objects, to reach with hands and arms, and speak
Important Application Information:
- It is your responsibility to demonstrate through your
application materials how you meet the minimum qualifications of
the position/s for which you apply.
- You must complete all sections of the application. A résumé or
other information you feel will help us evaluate your
qualifications may be attached to your completed application, but
will not be accepted in lieu of completing any part of the
application. Blank applications that contain only a résumé or those
that reference "see résumé" will be rejected as
- Check your application before submitting to ensure it is
complete and correct; no new or additional information will be
accepted after the closing date.
- Inquiry will be made of your former and current employers;
please provide the names and telephone numbers of supervisors on
- You must provide the names and contact information of at least
three (3) references (not relatives) that have knowledge of your
job skills, experience, ability and/or character.
- Application materials are the property of Mendocino County and
will not be returned.
- It is your responsibility to keep your NEOGOV profile updated,
including any changes to your telephone number or address. Failure
to do so may result in missed notification of exams or
- The exam process listed on this flyer is tentative. Mendocino
County reserves the right to make necessary modifications to the
examination plan. Such revisions will be in accordance with
approved personnel standards. Should a change be made, applicants
will be notified.
- The provisions of this job bulletin do not constitute an
expressed or implied contract.
Examination Process: All complete applications and supplemental
questionnaires submitted by the final filing date will be reviewed
with those judged most qualified progressing further in the
selection process. Based on the number of qualified candidates, a
Qualifications Appraisal may be administered.Special Testing: If
you require special testing arrangements to accommodate a
disability or religious conviction you must contact Human Resources
at 707.234.6600 prior to the test date to make your requirements
known. You must provide enough advance notice to allow Human
Resources to properly review and evaluate your request.
Keywords: County Of Mendocino, Santa Rosa , Deputy Chief Executive Officer, Executive , Ukiah, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!